Thursday, March 17, 2016

My Biggest Fear....

Good morning everyone and Happy St. Patrick's Day!  I got to work on a beautiful quilt that Susan and her Mom had made this past week. When she brought it to me I knew immediately that the applique blocks were made a long time ago.  Her Mom had recently passed away and she found these applique blocks in her sewing room and decided to finish the quilt. I tried to date the fabrics used in the applique blocks by looking at some of my Grandma's quilts.  I just love how it turned out.

When I started quilting almost 10 years ago (has it been that long?), I had one project and started it and finished it before I bought or started another project.  All of my "quilting" friends said that I was not a true quilter - for a true quilter has many projects going at one time.  It was hard for me to understand at the time - I like to start and finish things in a timely manner.

THEN, I started my longarming business, my 2 daughters became super busy with school and activities and 10 years later, I have multiple projects in the works.  I guess I am now a true quilter.  I don't press my girls to become amazing sewers, quilters or follow patterns.  I let them play with my quilts, my scrap bucket of fabrics and let them create anything they want.  I want them to love the fun of playing with fabric and when they are ready to get serious - they know where to come. 

I have turned my quilts into scrapbooks.  On the back of each quilt, I have a label with a story for my girls to read and enjoy about what is going on in their lives at the time I made each quilt.  I am trying hard to get back to where I was when I first started quilting.  I know.....  I've trying for over 2 years now.  Darn those fabric designers - they keep coming up with such cute stuff!!!

It is one of my biggest fears when I pass away that my daughter's will be going through all of my stuff and say here is another applique quilt that Mom started and never finished!  I hope that doesn't happen - but it probably will.  Hopefully they will find joy in that and get those quilts finished like Susan did with her Mom's quilt.

I hope you all have a great day - enjoy this sunshine and enjoy the quilting process no matter where you are on your quilting journey.






Oh I almost forgot - on this quilt I used a design allover called Retro Hearts with dark yellow thread and a layer of Dream wool batting.  Happy "Kwilting!"

No comments:

Post a Comment